Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

New Raspberry Pi 400 keyboard computer

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: New Raspberry Pi 400 keyboard computer

Post by crosscourt »

$70 isnt bad and very portable. Would like to try one of these.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Yeah, I could have got one of those instead of the laptop. Trinity desktop on Rasbian is a very nice useful system on my Raspberry Pi 3B+, and I given thought to getting a Pi 4, if the Pi 400 would have showed up a month ago, I would have definitely picked one up.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im thinking of getting one down the road.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

This just looks SOOOO cool. I've often thought of a Pi but have been waiting for power and memory to climb a bit. No noise, low pwer use, USB 3 ports....

Of course all it needs now is a clam-shell case and an 11 - 13" screen and you've got a killer laptop!! I wouldn't mind betting there's one in the development works right now :D
wove

Post by wove »

I held off until the 3B+ was released. Linux still has a way to go with power management on ARM. The system can turn off the screen and go into an idle state, but overall the system still uses too much power to really be reliable on batteries and make a good laptop. But powered on the mains 5-6 watts of power is almost nothing compared to other systems. Trinity installed from Raspbian's CLI runs excellent on the 3B+, the 1GB of RAM is still a bit small, however the 4GB Pi 4 model, could be a very solid daily driver.

You of course can change the OS, by simply swapping out SD cards. I got my 3B+ to run RISC OS, and it runs it very well. Ah to program in BASIC, like its 1985, and just leave the old Commodore 128 in the closet.

bill