Didnt realize Id be using my Chromebook so much

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Didnt realize Id be using my Chromebook so much

Post by crosscourt »

In my area Chromebooks have taken over as they were very popular in schools but have become the top choice for at home learning. Many business people are using them as well and parts of the Federal Government are using them as well. Never thought I would see the day when so much non-Microsoft hardware would be in use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

FedEx just sent me a notice that the Acer 315 wont be here till Monday 10/12.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Acer 315 has a larger screen 15.6 versus my Acer 14, has 4 USB ports/micro SD slot versus 2 USB ports on the 14, and has a plastic chassis versus the metal one on the 14.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

With low powered devices like this, I don't really see the issue with plastic chassis. Yeah, it doesn't FEEL quite as nice. But if it's a decently done plastic, it can be attractive, and you don't need the additional "heat sink" ability of a metal chassis with the Celerons, so it really doesn't gain anything real world except a higher price tag. You can even make very thin and light from plastic, like my old Chromebooks, the HP Chromebook 14's that I had. They were VERY thin, very light, but the chassis was 100% plastic.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Acer 14 uses a N3160 and it runs hotter than the N4020 does thus they can use the plastic chassis and still give you the extra ports and 1080P display. Doesnt bother me in the slightest, just commenting on the differences between the two.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My Chromebooks that I had several of over the course of 2-3 years had the Baytrail predecessor of the N3160, the N2940, that actually ran hotter than teh N3160's got, and never had issues with a thin and light setup in a fully plastic chassi. Probably not a cooling decision for having a metal frame, but more a presentation. Just like my HP Chromebook 13's all are metal, but are the passively cooled Core M's which definitely DON'T require metal chassis either, but they did it because it looks and feels more "high end".
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats very possible it is a presentation decision. A number of tech reviews though brought up the heat issues or the avoidaance of it as why they went that way. Certainly with the N4020 it wont matter at all.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, with only dual cores and a 6-watt TDP, they'll defintely not have issues with overheating.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chromebook should be here today it appears.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I'm looking at getting a 315 to replace my wife's old Acer laptop with Sparklinux. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.