Didnt realize Id be using my Chromebook so much

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Didnt realize Id be using my Chromebook so much

Post by crosscourt »

Just arrived and I bought mine as recertified and it looks brand new. Setting it up took less than 30 seconds and if youve owned one before youll notice that all your settings are saved on the cloud and it took me to Youtube watching UFO reruns(no slowdowns with videos) just as I did with my former Chromebook. Screen is gorgeous at 1920x1080 and viewing angle is excellent. Has two large speakers that are great for viewing multimedia even though they dont have a lot of depth.
It has a full keyboard including number pad which I like a lot. Keyboard feel in regards to being a chicklet style is good the usual short throw.
Battery life so far has been excellent as it can go 12.5 hours and I gave it quite the go the first day and no issues, recharges very quickly. Touchpad is excellent, responsive to gestures and buttons were smooth to use. I still prefer a mouse myself but for those of you who dont youll be fine.
Wifi connection is outstanding, as I got strong to medium signal strength no matter where I went in the house. This model 315 has been around since March 2020 so the hardware is relatively new in regards to the cpu/wifi, etc. This unit has 4gb of ram and 64gb of flash storage, and also has four USB ports of which two are USB-C , micro sd card slot and earphone. Ive got a 128gb micro sd card in it to store apps($16 online) but youll need to go into settings under external storage and enable it and into the play store to enable its use with apps, that includes Linux apps if you so choose but that also has to be enabled in settings.
Unit doesnt get hot at all and it was on my lap for an entire night. Weight wise, it was a lot lighter than I expected for a 15.6 laptop and would be great for a business person or student on the go. Unit is very attractive with its silver and black colors and the plastic case doesnt smudge easily and is easy to clean.
The GUI is simple and clean with a minimum of icons at the bottom of the screen but with a click of the bottom left corner all icons can be brought up on screen. The task area in the right corner has everything you need to control the system without cluttering it up. Notifications for updates and apps are common and rarely need a restart. There are many choices for wallpapers and resolution can be changed if youre eyes are a bit older like mine.
Overall its one of the nicest, low priced systems Ive ever used and Acer unlike some of the other brands is really reliable and solid but recertified still get a 90 day warranty, new systems one year.
This particular Chromebook is good till June of 2026 in regards to end of life so if you decide to look at other systems be sure to check when those systems will no longer be supported. This 315 cost me $230 so I was very pleased.
If anyone has any other questions just post them and Ill try to answer them.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Does it use the latest & greatest AX wireless or the much more common, and ever so slightly cheaper AC?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It uses the AC but these are recertified so they were originally sold earlier this year. Compared to the Acer 14 the wifi is much improved.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Posting back as Ive been using it more and its been a joy to use. The full keyboard for me really helps given my large hands and issues with my fingers.

Performance has been better than expected and I did some binge watching of 10.5 hours and the battery still had charge.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

>8 hours battery is incredibly nice to have. None of my laptops are QUITE that high, but some of the newer hardware can achieve 8-9 hours. I think th e newest I have is actually quoted as having around 10.5, but I haven't gotten ANYWHERE near testing it for that long.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

First day I had it, the battery was fully charged showing 12.5 hours. I used it all day and into the next day, then my wife played around with it that night and it still had 30 mins of charge.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No issues so far and I have to say I really prefer the 15.6 inch screen over the 14 inch screen. Given how light this Chromebook is, its just as easy to tote around as my other smaller Chromebooks. Ive been using on the go for most of my everyday tasks.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I had an old Toshiba laptop at one point with a 15.6" screen and a full numeric keypad. It was a very nice laptop to use. The screen was very nice and easy to read and I really liked having the full keyboard and keypad. It ate through batteries in no time flat, not to mention it was very heavy. The screen and keyboard however were quite wonderful.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

With the Chromebook its light and has a 12.5 hour battery life of which Ive gone 10.5 hours with it already. My older eyes really like the larger screen as well as the full keyboard.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

I've been following this thread with great interest. Have either of you spent time on your Chromebook but away from the Internet for any length of time (days)? How did things hold up? My internet connection in Spain is spotty to say the least.