Intel runs into more delays...

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Intel runs into more delays...

Post by tlmiller »

Intel now saying they won't have CPU's manufactured on 7nm until 2023 probably.

More here. Another take on it here

Things just haven't been going well for Intel now that they actually have competition, seems everything fabrication-wise has went wrong.
crosscourt

Re: Intel runs into more delays...

Post by crosscourt »

Ive enjoyed being AMD based with my gaming pc and hope we see a much more level playing field.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've loved my AMD desktops since getting a Ryzen, and I love the Lenovo Thinkpad w/ Ryzen, although I've been underwhelmed (due to Dell's lack of bios updates fixing issues) with the Dell Ryzen laptops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Have you checked directly with Dell? I had an issue awhile back and asked about other bios updates and they gave me one for my laptop.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, an update for the 7375 wouldn't do me any good since I got rid of it 6+ months ago after 18+ months of having a known bios issue and Dell not releasing updates to even ATTEMPT to fix it, and the 5485 is the one they just redid the bios due to my finding issues with the bios update they had released. They just don't seem to be able to get Ryzen BIOS right for their laptops, so I'm done with Dell and Ryzen unless they release a Latitude /w Ryzen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back on the main topic, irregardless of all the issues perceived about Intel, they are by far the largest cpu manufactureer in the world and wont be going away any time soon.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, definitely won't be going away. Just...odd, humorous, fitting maybe, that after 6 years of pretty much uncontested supremacy in the desktop/laptop world where they had absolutely NO competition beyond the low end, and even then in mobile it was only competitive due to price as the Intel was significantly better at energy usage, that suddenly when AMD got something right, EVERYTHING suddenly just goes WRONG with Intel as soon as they're forced to try to respond again after so long of setting on their laurels.
I think, end of the day, it shows that even Intel is better off having a competitive AMD. After 6 years of complacency by Intel, when they start trying to innovate again, they run into issue after issue with their fabrication.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There have been rumors that maybe Intel would be better off not running their own fab plants. Years ago they sold one of them off but even with the issues with 7nm which is fantastically complicated tech I dont see them abandoning their own production. Add to that their move into GPUS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the problem with them not running their own fab is there's only 2 fabs that are ANYWHERE near as modern as Intel. TSMC, which already serves pretty much ALL their competitors so you have to wonder how much fab work they could ACTUALLY take off Intel's plate, and Samsung...So unless they do like AMD and spin their fab off into a separate company, then there's not really much they COULD use 3rd party for.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hynix is no slouch and is actually the third largest semiconductor maker in the world just beating out TSMC but their focus isnt the same as the others.
Site Moderator