Razer RZ09 02386

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Razer RZ09 02386

Post by tlmiller »

So got around to installing it today. Went with Endeavour instead of Anarchy. After installing both in a relatively close timeframe, I prefer Anarchy. But Endeavour is still a great OS.

The keyboard on this laptop is HORRIBLE. While it's not a +10, so it's nice and centered, the design makes it very hard to use. The right shift key is far further over than most, and makes it VERY hard for me to reach it, and instead I keep hitting arrow keys that are beside it, which is annoying. The travel on the keys isn't BAD, although it's nothing impressive either.
Touchpad is great. Very large, responsive, easy tapping. It only has tapping and virtual buttons, no physical buttons, but I've been using touchpads so long that doesn't bother me in the least.
The screen is nice. It's a 144Hz 1080P 15.6". I'd like if it was 1440P. 15.6" is a bit large for only 1080P, although it's not bad, given the LCD is actually extremely high quality.
Also unfortunately this requires too much power so that the dock that can only put out 45-watt won't charge this. So if I put it on the dock, it'll all work, but it'll discharge while doing so. So that puts a rather large damper on my enthusiasm for it. Obviously the performance of the laptop is quite incredible with 6 cores and 12 threads. Haven't tested it off the charger yet. The battery does show 99% life still, so it should be like new, although given the CPU, I don't expect more than 4-5 hours.
Overall, the not being able to use it on the dock is the biggest disappointment, and the keyboard makes it quite unpleasant to use. While it crushes any laptop I currently have, and Endeavour is working PERFECTLY on it so far...I don't foresee keeping this more than a few months.
tlmiller

Re: Razer RZ09 02386

Post by tlmiller »

So there's an all night Knight Rider with all the 2-parters so I'm up FAR too late. However, I was configuring Vivaldi on the Razer, and when going into the mouse gestures, it shows a little animation of the mouse movement for them. On this machine, the animations were like a coked-out squirrel they were moving so fast.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt realize you were a Knight Rider fan? I looked at some of the personal reviews of your Razor online and they tended to be very mixed in regards to the user experience vs performance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, still a Knight Rider fan. One of the few shows from my childhood that's still fun to watch today. Little cheesy now, but still good. And this was basically a "best of", with Goliath parts 1 & 2, return of Goliath part 1 & 2, Dreadnaught part 1 & 2, etc.

Here's the desktop as it sets:

I don't remember what the models were, but the Latitudes that had the dropped right side for the arrows...if Razer had done that with this to allow for the right shift key to be full length, I think the keyboard would be fine. Not GREAT, but fully usable. As for the charging, while disappointing, I can't pretend that I didn't kinda expect it. Come with a 210-watt supply, so I wasn't at ALL surprised by that.

The performance is rather outstanding. Definitely overkill for what I need.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yellow! :shock:
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, and that's much toned down yellow from what it was at first. It was too bright even for me!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Brighter than that!!! :o :o
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, hard to believe, but originally I used a brighter yellow for the panel, and the window borders were yellow too. As much as I love bright desktops, it was annoying my eyes even.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As Ive talked about before Im just the opposite as I like dark themes which generally make the print stand out and reduce glare for my older eyes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

How much does the Razer go for?
Site Moderator