DELL OPTIPLEX PROBLEM

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: DELL OPTIPLEX PROBLEM

Post by crosscourt »

Thats what is odd as if it hasnt been running much and was unplugged, why would something go bad?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Moisture condensation is the first thing I can think of if something was powered off...
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I had a psu fail recently, I left the psu switched on but the pc off and the following day when I tried booting it just flicked the fans on for a fraction of a second and then switched off, then it would not power on until the power cord was removed for a minute or so, then it would do the same again. I did check the board for shorts and removed all components and still the board would not power on. Gave the system a new one (PSU) and it worked again without issue, I still have it and an autopsy is on my todo list.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So I plugged it all back together this evening when I got home from work. It powered up the way it usually does. I ran it for nearly an hour with no problems. The RAM that failed was one of the original sticks of 4 Gb. I had maxed it out with 16 Gig,(it originally had 8)
so with 12 Gig it's fine. No burn spots on the stick,but in reality,it was probably 1 of the chips that failed. My shop has heat,and I actually had brought the heat up,before turning the computer on. It's my luck...if something is going to go wrong,it happens to me...😒😧
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

And if you want to go back to fully dual channel, you should be able to pick up a 4 GB DIMM pretty darn cheap, like $10-$15. I have my 2 old 8 GB DIMMS for only $25 each on craigslist, so unless it's REALLY old ram like 4 GB DDR2's (which were actually pretty rare), if you're patient and watch for it should be able to find it for dirt cheap.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Not a priority at the moment. I'm not doing anything exotic computation wise,so,I'll wait till I see something dirt cheap.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It uses ddr3 just like mine but Ive never had any ram fail over the years very odd.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've had a few sticks here and there fail. Haven't had any fail in a while, but back in the early days of DDR & DDR2, I definitely had failures. MIGHT have been helped to their grave in my case through overclocking...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been very lucky with ram but motherboards, thats another story.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It's electonics. Something is bound to fail,at some point.