DELL OPTIPLEX PROBLEM

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

DELL OPTIPLEX PROBLEM

Post by CaptNoize »

I turned on my shop computer today,and it started up fine. After about 30 minutes,the music file I was listening to,began to repeat,as if stuck in a loop. I couldn't move the mouse,nor did the keyboard work. I pulled the plug,and waited 5 minutes. I then plugged it back in,and it rebooted as usual.
About 3 minutes after rebooting,the screen began pix-elating. Nothing would work,..again. I pulled the plug,waited 5 minutes,and replugged it in.
Nothing came up this time,the only reaction I have now is the power button on the tower is blinking slowly,orange now,instead of white,..3 times.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong..? I assume it's a hardware problem. This has an i 7 processor in it. :x :roll: :|
tlmiller

Re: DELL OPTIPLEX PROBLEM

Post by tlmiller »

That usually means it's not detecting RAM. Try popping out the memory and (if you have 2 DIMMS) moving to the other pair, or (if you have 4) just swapping pairs from DIMM-0 to Dimm-1 and vice-versa.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Unplug the pc and leave it for 5 minutes. While unplugged press the black reset switch on the back of the power supply for at least 10 seconds. Put plug back in and try to restart.

The blinking is a code but I dont have a service manual to check it but the psu reset is the most common issue. Ive also seen power bars and extension cords due this to Dells and bad electrical plugs can cause it. Plugging the pc into a different outlet may also help.

If this doesnt work the power supply may be bad. Regardless of whats wrong the power light on the back of the psu should be green if its working.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Tried both of those "fixes" ...still no good...probably a bad power supply.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Try unplugging the dvd drive, hard drive and any add on cards and try booting to the bios. Try another power cord in a different location.
You can also try pressing the psu reset button while its plugged in and youve already pressed the power button and see what happens.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Are you using a surge protector? They can go bad or cause issues. If the pc is unprotected have there been any recent power surges like brownouts.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

No,...if it's not in use,it's unplugged. When I plug it in,the fans are running,and the power button is blinking orange. The green LED on the back is lit.
I tried pushing the reset while on,....nothing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Have you done anything inside the case recently that may have loosened a cable or connection? Disconnect all devices like drives and add on cards and try to boot to bios. Pull the ram and try using on stick at a time to see if theres an issue. Something changed or something happened when you plugged it in. If it wasnt plugged in, is the cmos battery ok and does a bios reset to defaults help?
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Another thing to check would be dust inside the case, especially around the cpu cooler, I would also blow out the entire case with air gun and then remove the cpu fan and replace the thermal paste.

And tbh I would totally strip the machine and check each component for any physical signs of damage before returning them, but I guess that's my OCD kicking in...

Did you notice any raise in temperatures before the system crashed/corrupted?
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I unplugged the computer,and reset the RAM. The computer hasn't run much; I've been working so much,some repairs have backed up in my shop. The inside of the tower is very clean. I usually blow it out,every few months,but like I said,it's not been run much. There was no raise in temp before it failed. I'm going to have my friend who fixes computers look at it this week. He said it could be anything from a power supply, to a MB. Remember, I bought this used,so who knows how much time and abuse it has seen. I remember the last time I tried to start it,it had a bunch of tiny square images on the screen. I will let you know what transpires with this. I think it's a component failure.... i.e. PSU.😮😡😟
So I went and checked the RAM and found a malfunction in one of the sticks of RAM. I will try it at length later today and report back to you,after work today. Thanks..!