My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Post by crosscourt »

Dont want to change psu and dont want a lot of fan noise so no x versions for me. Honestly there are almost no games that utilize 8 cores but 6 cores thats another story. It so much depends on the game as the 1400 runs just as well in many games optimized for 4 cores. If I want to go used I can get a 2600 for just under $100 but you never now. Newegg has the best price so far on the 2600.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Forgot yours was an R3...so a 2600 would still be a huge jump. Given a fair amount of games you still play are older, most of those can't even benefit from more htan 2 cores/4 threads, so a hex-core would be absolutely beastly to those!!

And to think, 3 years ago we thought quad-core was living large!! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

R3? Mines a Ryzen 5 1400 but 2600 would be a good gain. Getting ready to buy a Seagate 2TB 7200rpm Barracuda for more storage space. Hopefully the cloning wont have any issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Bought a 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 256mb cache hard drive, and the Ryzen 5 2600. No other changes though for now.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt realize how expensive ddr4 3000 is versus ddr4 2666.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Buddy of mine is going to drop by 2x8gb sticks of crucial ddr4 3200 he claims will work in the Dell 5676 with the Ryzen 5 2600 th0ugh will actually run at closer to 3000.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Amd has the Ryzen master utility as a download that appears to be a software based cpu/gpu overclocker, anyone tried it?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's Windows only, so none here. However, with the 2000 & 3000 series, the automated "precision boost overdrive" is so good, IMO it's a waste to bother. You'll get +2%-4% additional performance for hours of tweaking. 1st gen it's worth it, as the PBO wasn't really all that great in 1000 series Ryzen. BIGGEST reason I wanted a 2700x to replace my 1700x when it was still in a Dell case. Now that it's in a board that allows it to boost unhinged, I'll just stay with the 1700x until I find a 3700x/3800x for a great price to keep me from having to upgrade boards again (4000 series will be the last AM4 cpu's most likely).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Appears it creates a temporary overclock on the cpu or gpu with adjustments for voltage and you can create profiles so that when your gaming and you want more performance hit that profile and apply and off you go. It only lasts for that session which means you dont have to run your system oced all the time, only when you actually need it. Might give it a try down the road once Ive done a bit more research. Ryzen master utility.

Read your post after I typed this but the overclock utility is silly easy and the cpu boost increases depending on the overclock as I saw in two videos.
Yes Windows only but I use to use software based oc tools years ago, much easier than the usual method.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have nothing against software-based OC'ing, but given I boot into windows every 3-5 months, just not going to bother....