My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, if you do most of the stuff through steam then any modern OS will work ok, with the proton technology being integrated into steam now. The biggest part of it is to make sure you've got Intel or AMD graphics if you don't want to be hassled by reinstalling proprietary graphics drivers every time you get a kernel patch.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I've got an old GTX960 in it at the moment, I've put an RTX580 on my shopping list though as it seems to offer good budget performance. I have to say I can't imagine I would ever be into serious gaming but it is fun to play now and then.

I haven't decided on OS yet but will most likely try starting from a Debian base and just adding everything I need, I wonder if I could run without a DE? I have been playing with running VM's from a base debian install and just adding xorg to run GUI's but without the extra overhead that comes with the desktop, I would imagine I could use a testing base and it would be more stable that most "stable" set-ups. And of course it's always good to have an alternative full distro on hand if you get impatient. :D

I will definitely be running it as a seperate milti-boot option (after vm testing) so I don't need to have all the daily stuff running that you might normally use. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to "bite the bullet" and go for a 1TB ssd though, it's so annoying waiting for data to load from spinning disks now!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Doom 2016 is quite good at being what people wanted, a modern update of the original game. The level design isnt as good as the original but overall they did a good job of getting the shoot fest feel about right. Its not for everybody but given how many people have/are playing the newer version, I think they are pretty happy.
Quake Online is also a lot of fun.
Freelancer if you give it some time and play through a bit more it will satisfy you far more. Space games arent for everyone but Freelancer did a good job of keeping things simple enough but granting you a lot of depth with the size of the game.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'm sure I will be testing more games as I get this machine how I want it, I remember the original doom and do recall spending way too many hours playing it at one point, but that's what happens when your kids start beating you at games :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No kids here but Ive been gaming since the 80s and did stints at various websites like videogames.com and gamespy till they closed. I pro gamed for quite awhile back in the Thresh days with Quake 1-2 and his old partner lives just down the road from me. Ive been involved with gaming at all levels including independent early on till around 2009. Because of a fire to our home and the economy I got away from gaming including the research/testing I did for quite a few sites. Just getting back into it now as Im officially a technogeezer. Have an extensive collection of older games for pc and own quite a few older consoles.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mechwarrir 5 didnt do too bad on my system but only averaged 40fps so even with some setting changes it looks like down the road Ill need to do some upgrading for newer games.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very tempted to get a 2600 cpu given the price but Im really not dissatisfied so far.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It can be so very tempting. And yeah, they're getting cheap and it does make it even moreso!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ryzen 5 2600 is around $119 and the 2700 is around $149. For the difference in price the 6 core looks mighty good.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Although if you look at it mathmatically, the 2700x is a better /core deal. 33% more cores than the 2600x, but only 25% more expensive. :D

And while I say that, I do agree that the difference in $120 and $150 (and often still closer to $160 at a lot of places) just has a different FEEL to it.