My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished Nechwarrior 5 Mercs, tough game, but may start over and play thru it again. For fans of the series, youll love it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed the Ryzen 5 2600 and all went well but upon boot the system didnt like the change and ended up rebooting and Win10 then asked me to redo my pin because of security issues. Im using Win10 Home that was on the pc to start and Microsoft likes keeping tabs on you. I didsnt realize the system would react this way to changing a cpu but its up and running well.
Im hoping when I clone my hard drive to the new 2tb drive Im not going to have issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I almost grabbed a 3700x yesterday. One popped up on offerup for $275 + $5 shipping. VERY nearly decided to grab it, since that would give me even more thermal headroom (3700x=65watt instead of 95watt)...

But ultimately decided to keep waiting, the 1700x is still quite adequate for my needs for now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

2600 for me is perfect and right in the sweeet spot for where I want to be. Ryzen Master utility still doesnt work but it probably doesnt matter given the 2600's abilities.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

DDR4 3200 was dropped off and it works great. Its running at 2933ghz which is no surprise as the R5 2600 only supports that speed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just cloned my hard drive and it went very quickly going from a 1tb to a 2tb drive. Didnt realize that Dell had also used a Seagate Barracuda drive so 30 minutes and I was done, using Minitool Shadowmaker free software.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been impressed with the stard hard drive as Win10 boots in 10 seconds and if you optimize the drive in Win10 the performance really shows. Load times in Mechwarrior 5 vary but in most cases its loading while Im making adjustments before the mission and its pretty much ready to go.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just picked up a Seagate Firecuda 2.5 2tb sshd for $50. Its a third generation drive with higher aureal density and even being a 5400rpm drive it outperforms the previous generation Firecuda 3.5 7200rpm drive. Ill use the Seagate Barracuda 2tb as additional storage and a backup.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Hopefully the 3rd gen Seagate SSHD's are more reliable than the 1st and 2nd. WE had ~40 Optiplex's that came with the 1st gen, literally EVERY SINGLE ONE died before the warranty expired. And we had some that came with the second gen (maybe only about 10-15 of these though), and several died within the first year of use, after which most of them were retired and have since sat in a pile until they fell out of warranty.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its got a 5 year warranty so Im not bothered and honestly many of my tech buddies have had sshd drives for years with no issues. The only drive that ever failed with them was a 250gb ssd drive.
Site Moderator