My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Post by crosscourt »

Its not a totally up to date system but its a brand new Dell Inspiron 5675, using the Ryzen 5 1400,8gb ram,1tb 7200rpm HD, and a RX570 4gb video card.
Nice looking system that I got for $400 and shipping. Should be here next week, its running Win10 home so should be fine now. Eventually Ill make some upgrades as the system was produced in June of 2018, it should do fine. I havent played many games from 2012 up so this system will work fine for me.
I just need to get a vga to hdmi adapter for my monitor. Looks like a lot of my older systems will be hitting the road.
The case has blue leds and has a nice overall appearance. The ribs allow for a large volume of air to get into the system thus few fans are used except for the cpu.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Post by tlmiller »

We will have the same desktop. Different specs, but that's the desktop I have. Been a good desktop overall, although it does freeze up once in a while with Debian (although not so far with 5.4, but I've only had it for like 2 days and only used it 1 of them). My only major complaint stock was that it came with a hard drive instead of an SSD. Although that was the first thing I did (literally after having it for 15 minutes) is removed the spinning rust and replaced with my (low end, but still SSD) 960GB 2.5" SATA SSD.

Does have 2 m.2 slots, 1 of which has a NVMe bus connection, the other is strictly m.2 SATA. Put a 512 Samsung PM981 on the NVMe of mine, booting Debian from it. VERY fast with that. Slower when I boot Windows (from the 2.5" SSD). Still not bad.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Which Ryzen do you have and how much ram? Im excited to be able to run an AMD as Ive been running Intel forever.
Ill be reducing all the older systems I have and pretty much be running the gaming system as my only system. More than likely Ill be running Neon as my Linux distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

1700x w/ 16 GB for now. I plan to upgrade it to 32GB this year if I don't get something with a 3000 or 4000 series Ryzen instead (at this point looking at upgrading ram, taxes won't be as much as I was expecting).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Made a mistake its a Dell Inspiron 5676, the one that doesnt have the dvd drive built in as some do. This was from the Dell listing the seller posted in the sale ad. It means Ill be able to do some decent upgrading down the road but with so many games I havent played up to this point, I can leave the newer games for now, except for Mechwarrior 5 a favorite of mine. Will definitely look at upgrading to 16gb ram as Im hoping Dell has a single 8gb ram stick in this 5676 so I can just pop another one in. M2.1 sata I also saw, as you mentioned in the pics so Im pretty happy right now.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I actually was just reading a thread where I found out that my board is supposed to support the 2700 & 2700x. So might just have to try to find a 2700 (x or non) cheap and upgrade to that.

All started as I was trying to figure out the difference between the 5675 and the 5676, which I never really did figure out.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was pleased after looking at the price of the 2700 on ebay at around $125-149 which will drop a bit over time. The rx570 is a great card as I was going to replace my 1050ti with one. PC has a 380w psu so any major changes will require a better psu,but honestly for now this rig fits me well. Not having the dvd drive really cleans up the inside of the case so not unhappy and will use an external drive if needed. Looking at affordable ssds presently as the 1tb drive appears to be a 5400rpm but thats unclear.

The 5676 has dual pcie 16x slots with two smaller pcie slots as where the 5675 only has 1 16x slot with 3 smaller pcie slots. The motherboard on the 5676 supports the 2700s, the 5675 board doesnt, but more than likely a bios update might solve that but the boards supposedly are not the same. This was gleaned from the user manuals assuming Ive got the right ones. Watched a few video reviews of the systems as well and they confirmed the differences as well.
Beautifully setup system inside for the user, with the video card support and such a variety of hard drive choices. The rx570 is cheap so I could add another for a dual system as well but need to look at benchmarks and it depends on what games I choose. All that wont happen right away, but nice to have options.

This will be my first personal gaming system in close to ten years as I had been using one that belongs to a friend otherwise still had my much older gaming system that has Win7 still on it.
Games today at times tend to have a lot of problems and for all the pretty graphics they make a lot of stupid design and UI mistakes. Playability isnt as good as it was in the past many times and the personal touch seems to have disappeared. I was waiting patiently for Mechwarrior 5 to come out but it frankly is quite broken and not sure if Ill actually play it as Mechwarrior 4 was a much better game. Titanfall 1-2 Ill give a look, but gog.com has a lot of games cheap that run on Win10 so many options out there(Epic,Steam,Gamestop). Will enjoy looking at possible choices.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:51 pm I was pleased after looking at the price of the 2700 on ebay at around $125-149 which will drop a bit over time. The rx570 is a great card as I was going to replace my 1050ti with one. PC has a 380w psu so any major changes will require a better psu,but honestly for now this rig fits me well. Not having the dvd drive really cleans up the inside of the case so not unhappy and will use an external drive if needed. Looking at affordable ssds presently as the 1tb drive appears to be a 5400rpm but thats unclear.

The 5676 has dual pcie 16x slots with two smaller pcie slots as where the 5675 only has 1 16x slot with 3 smaller pcie slots. The motherboard on the 5676 supports the 2700s, the 5675 board doesnt, but more than likely a bios update might solve that but the boards supposedly are not the same. This was gleaned from the user manuals assuming Ive got the right ones. Watched a few video reviews of the systems as well and they confirmed the differences as well.
Beautifully setup system inside for the user, with the video card support and such a variety of hard drive choices. The rx570 is cheap so I could add another for a dual system as well but need to look at benchmarks and it depends on what games I choose. All that wont happen right away, but nice to have options.

This will be my first personal gaming system in close to ten years as I had been using one that belongs to a friend otherwise still had my much older gaming system that has Win7 still on it.
Games today at times tend to have a lot of problems and for all the pretty graphics they make a lot of stupid design and UI mistakes. Playability isnt as good as it was in the past many times and the personal touch seems to have disappeared. I was waiting patiently for Mechwarrior 5 to come out but it frankly is quite broken and not sure if Ill actually play it as Mechwarrior 4 was a much better game. Titanfall 1-2 Ill give a look, but gog.com has a lot of games cheap that run on Win10 so many options out there(Epic,Steam,Gamestop). Will enjoy looking at possible choices.
That's definitely innacurate. My 5675 has 2 x16's, and according to dell's site with the model of the board verified through "configuration as shipped" on Dell's site and 'dmidecode --type=baseboard' supports 2700/2700x. But definitely a 5675, not a 5676, again verified through Dell's support site w/ express service code.

IT's kinda funny that you're upgrading to your first new desktop in 10 years. When I bought this one, that's almost the EXACT same amount of time that I'd had my existing desktop. Had upgraded it DOZENS of times (3 or 4 cpu's, 3 GPU's, 3 ram configurtions, 4 different had drives/SSD's over the years, but same board/case/psu!!)

I do like the RX5x0. Work great, good for decent gaming (mine has the 8GB RX580), and works just fine with even the older distro's (Debian works out of the box, Vega requires a bunch of backports to work with Debian).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The user manual I saw last night online from Dell archives definitely showed one 16x slot but they may have changed the board along the way which often happens. It also said the 5675 did not support the 2700s, again things change over time and Im not really sure how old that user manual was but obviously by what you say it has changed. Now that said I did see some comments in the Dell forum arguing that the 5675 did have two 16x slots but they didnt act liketwo2 16x slots and in fact acted like two 8x slots so not sure whats going on there.
Even my Dell 701Optiplex went through some motherbaord changes from the originally released model even though they all carry the 7010 moniker.
4gb RX570 for me is fine for now but nice to have options.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Most boards that have multiple full length slots don't act as x16. Usually it's 1 x16 and the rest are all x8's. Only the high end gaming boards usually dedicated enough bandwidth to do more than a single x16 (since at that point you had to lose something else to support that many channels to the slots or add an additional pci-e controller). With how Win10 only partially supports SLI/Crossfire (each game individually determines if it will work or not, it's not handled by the OS), it is less important now than it used to be.