Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Low cost 802.11ac mesh router runs on OpenWrt

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Low cost 802.11ac mesh router runs on OpenWrt

Post by tlmiller »

IMO, this is a bit late to get any real demand. 3 years ago, this would have been fantastic. But now that AX is becoming common in laptops, well, why would someone waste their money buying an AC system?

The only exception would be someone who has enough space to require a mesh system, and is replacing a 802.11AC system that died.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I think the point was they bill it as the only open source mesh router and many are still using 802.11ac.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, many are using 802.11AC. But if you're already using it, you're not going to spend money to going to this. I know 4 people (other than myself) at my work who have recently gotten rid of their 802.11AC (and one was a mesh network, not open source) to upgrade to 802.11AX. Point is, at this point this is an EXCEEDINGLY niche product. Only people who MUST have open source and are YEARS behind the curve will be interested in this.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If ax is the same cost or cheaper thats probably true but if its much higher in cost, people may still look to cheaper ac products.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I still kinda disagree. Only those who are still on N or earlier, which is a very small percentage. If someone's already on AC, they're either going to stay on their existing AC, or spend the money on AX. Even going from Wave 1 to Wave 2 won't be worth the money spent on this for the insanely small performance gains (and mostly only when multiple endpoints are connected as well). So I just don't see this selling very well. Sure, it'll sell SOME, but I see it as coming to market too late to be more than a nich of a niche of a niche product.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I honestly would buy older hardware if the price was significantly lower and fairly close in generation. Ill buy anything better if the price is right but if its too high I stick with the status quo.
Site Moderator