I will soon be wifi6 (802.11AX) at my house!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

I will soon be wifi6 (802.11AX) at my house!!

Post by tlmiller »

Since I needed to transfer $500 over to my checking to cover the deductible for the 18-wheeler attacking my car, that was going to leave an odd amount, so I transferred an even grand (it hurt to do that, there's not a lot in there). With the money leftover after the deductible I went ahead and ordered a wifi 6 router. ASUS ROG AX11000. Not the most highly reviewed 12-stream router, but it was $100 cheaper than any other 12-stream. Some of the 8 stream routers were the same price as it was, and it was near the limit of what I could spend (the laptop on CL didn't happen). AX is supposed to have MUCH better range due to how it manages it's streams, so I'll report back when I get it. Supposed to be here by the 18th, but it's coming from Cali, so I imagine it'll probably be here on Thursday (Wednesday if PO's aren't closed Monday).
crosscourt

Re: I will soon be wifi6 (802.11AX) at my house!!

Post by crosscourt »

More hardware???? :o :o :o ;)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, yes, but a router, not a laptop!!
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'm still using my "n" router despite the fact that I have an ac router in my drawer waiting to be used, and my laptop and phone are both ac wifi! One of the reasons I haven't changed is the fact that my internet speed is lower than the Wireless n speed so I cannot see where it will make much of a difference.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Helps with transferring files internally. I have a small consumer NAS (4x4TB RAID 5) that I use to store things on, and while it's connected via hardwire, the faster wireless speeds would help immensely when transferring things via a laptop on wireless.

Also the biggest reason (IMO) to go to AX is it's supposed to help with range. I know when I'm laying in bed, I'm pretty close to the range limit on my current system, so sometimes there's a very noticeable lag when attempting to do things due to the limitation of the wireless. AC didn't help with this so much as AX is supposed to.
Last edited by tlmiller on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Yes definitely agree, but as I usually stream over my network rather than transfer anything I don't think I would actually notice much of a difference, but I'm sure I will set the ac router up before long :)
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The big advantage of AC vs. N is 4 stream vs. 2 stream. Of course, the disadvantage is that it requires the 5 GHz bandwidth, which has MUCH less penetrating ability than 2.4 GHz, so AC won't get as good a range as N 2.4. Get the same range as N 5 though. AX (5 only) is SUPPOSED to get better range than N 2.4 while being significantly faster.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I had to change my phone to a 5Ghz model when I bought my last drone, it required it for the fpv flying and I'm not that good that I can fly too far without it.
I think I should probably set my home network up properly although it wont be for a few weeks yet but I guess I will likely notice more of a difference than I thought I would, I'll certainly post here if I do.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Came in today. Got it set up. Wow. I can't really see any big difference as far as speed (although haven't tried to put any files on my NAS, which I need to re-IP now). But I get AT LEAST 30 FEET further distance with connectivity.

Previously with AX+AC or AC+AC I could walk out onto my porch and still barely have connection. Once I started down my steps (I live 2nd floor) I'd drop. Now, I can walk down the steps, past my neighbors 2 parking spots, put the laptop on my cars roof, and still have connectivity. I don't know how much further it will make it (judging from the signal strength not much), but that's quite an additional distance!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It would have to be a lot better than that for me as I live on the top/4th floor to reach the parking lot.
Site Moderator