MX-18 Won't Boot

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

MX-18 Won't Boot

Post by CaptNoize »

I tried to start my home desktop tonight which is an HP Pavilion a1710n. It has MX-18 loaded on it. I just updated it 2 nights ago. It won't boot past the blinking cursor tonight. I tried my MX-18 hard disk from Jan.2019, and it loaded to the O.S.installed point. I stopped there,not wanting to erase the current OS. Tried it again,same blinking cursor. Any ideas on how to fix it without reloading the current O.S. ? Perhaps it's a hardware issue,but it doesn't seem so,there's not that many hours on this machine... :( :roll:
tlmiller

Re: MX-18 Won't Boot

Post by tlmiller »

So it passes grub and starts booting and stops? Or just boots to a terminal instead of X? If terminal are you still able to login?
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Just boots to a blinking line...not even a x... Doesn't load anything.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Do you know how to modify your grub boot parameters to boot to single user mode? If so, can you try that?
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

No...not really. Can you tell me..?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

When you get to the grub prompt, choose "advanced options". Choose the kernel you want to boot, hit "e" to go into edit mode. Then edit the line that starts with "linux /boot/vmlinuz- ... ro /dev/whatever ..." and append the word "single" to the end of it, then boot it.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It doesn't even get to that point. After turning it on,and the HP bios come up,the screen goes black,then just the blinking line...won't advance past that point.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, so you don't even get to the GRUB!!

Wow, can you get into the bios, and does it have any built-in diagnostics? Sounds like it's not reading any connected bootable hard drives. If it has diagnostics, run a hard drive diagnostic. If not, can you boot from USB to ANY linux OS and do an lsblk to verify if it's even seeing drive(s)?
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It's seeing the drives. I put the MX-18 hard disk in that I burned in Jan. of this year,and it replaced the OS. The installer is displayed on the top,so all of need to do is re install the OS. Just didn't want to go thru all that again.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm guessing you've never chrooted to an installed OS from a live USB to reinstall grub?