Acer Chromebook 14

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Acer Chromebook 14

Post by crosscourt »

I just fot thru setting it up for her and Im impressed. Anyone could use this very easily. FHD display is amazing and the keyboard is very good given its a chicklet style. You can connect your printer directly to the Chromebook now which wasnt the case at one point. My wife signed into her Google account and it was ready to use. The play store has a huge number of apps that are free but shes going to have to get use to most everything being used online.
Its really tough for older Windows users to wrap their head around doing things this way even though everything is headed for the cloud anyway even with Win10 down the road. Amazing tech for $199 and just hope she will give it a chance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, now that ChromeOS has the ability to run a lot of alternative programs from other OS's, I've considered getting one again, but most of them still use proprietary power connectors, and I don't want anything other than USB-C.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So much for that as my wife decided to not go with Chromebook, and at least for now stay with Win7. Not sure if we are going to try again down the road or will move to Win10.... :?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

According to a zdnet article last week, the free upgrades for Windows 7 to 10 still works.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its been a pretty mixed bag in regards to the upgrades and may not be the best way to start my wife off with Win10. She works for a non-profit so she may be able to get a discounted copy of Win10.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got a spare drive (duh)? Take throw the spare in her machine, reinstall Win7, do the upgrade to Win10 just to register the motherboard as a Windows 10 device. Then swap back to the current drive and she deicdes she wants to upgrade, you could do it, and the machine's already registered as a Win10 device so will activate even if they stop offering the free upgrades. Simple way of giving yourself ULTRA low priced option.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Our hardware is a a bit old but I could move her to my 7010 with Win7 so Ill take a look at it. I own 4 of them with the exact same motherboard so that might make things a lot easier.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, you'd need to install win10 on each. The way Win10 digital entitlement works is it actually uses motherboard serial and mac to register it. So once it's registered, that self-same motheboard will ALWAYS have a Win10 license thereafter through digital entitlement, and will self-activate as soon as it goes online.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hardware wise these systems are identical but yes the serial numbers vary as Dell has always done that.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I read somewhere that although Win10 remembers the machine id (or whatever magic codes) to remember installation but if it was an upgrade then the previous version always had to be installed first and then upgraded, I haven't experienced this myself only read it somewhere but has it changed or was it not the case and just internet fud?