Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Buying a Linux-ready laptop

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Re: Buying a Linux-ready laptop

Post by CaptNoize »

All these are STILL way too much money,just to get some "decent" specs,you'll be well over $1500.00... :x :x :x :evil:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

CaptNoize wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:47 pm All these are STILL way too much money,just to get some "decent" specs,you'll be well over $1500.00... :x :x :x :evil:
Completely agreed. Someone in the FOSS community needs to realize that linux users aren't made of money and offer something more value-oriented. Without being HORRIBLE. Offer the ryzen 3 mobile, or even Celeron/Pentium lines from Intel. With 8 GB ram, a small SSD, a lower end 1080P LCD and decent looking plastic frame. It's not going to light the world on fire, but can easily be sold for $400 (for the Celeron/Pentium) to $600 (for a Ryzen 3 mobile), and will be quite sufficient for what most people use laptops for.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

TL...why aren't you designing/telling these idiots how to market their computers. They don't have a CLUE what customers can/can't afford. If they would consult with you,and CC,maybe they'd get a grip on reality, instead of their "Johnsons".... :x :x :roll: :evil: Can't you suggest something to them..? I couldn't even consider one of those laptops...!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, the systems I would be designing are fairly low-margin. The Pentium/Celeron for $400, they'd only be making profit of about $100 a unit (not including labor/overhead they're paying for everything, just hardware costs). Compared to the ones they sell where I'm guessing they're probably making profit of $400-$600 a unit. So companies see it as there's just not enough linux users to justify offering a "good enough" laptop that only gets $100 profit each and they'd need to sell in a moderate quantity to make it worth marketing it.

I personally believe there are. There's plenty of people that like to buy a decent enough laptop and use linux. While I'm an outlier, I've purchased something like 6 laptops in the past 12 months. The MOST expensive was $800. I just bought one today that was $275 (used, but still), and that's in line with where MOST of the laptops I purchase are priced. I'd love to support a company that sells linux laptops...but they need to be selling things I can afford. I can afford a $1000+ laptop every 5-6 years. With paypal credit, I can get a $275 laptop every 6 months. Given how much I like to play with "new" hardware, guesss which I'm going to choose EVERY TIME...

BTW, since I bought ANOTHER laptop, that means if anyone is looking for another small, lightweight laptop, I'll be selling my Chuwi soon.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I agree about the profit margin,but, if they sold them cheaper, they would sell more, I think. So,even tho the profit margin per unit is not as high,the shear quantity would make up the difference(perhaps)....?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I agree. I'm not sure that those companies agree, however. I think they are still under the belief that linux laptops are still a super niche product that very few would buy.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Until they see a more mainstream reaction to Linux mid mainstream priced laptops will be the norm. Ive had talks with Dell people about this and being a niche product they need to recoup costs more easily as they will automatically keep inventory low.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's just the thing though. NOONE has ever TRIED selling a "good enough" linux laptop. There have been a few inexpensive ones, made with garbage 720p TN panels, huge, bulky, 15" plastic bodies w/ ultra-low end 5400 rpm hard drives and barely enough ram to function. Yeah, they were cheap, but they were also garbage. Neither major OEM (Dell, HP) nor botique Linux shop (ZaReason, Penquin Computing, Librem) has tried the "affordable, but good enough to actually USE" linux laptop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They dont see huge numbers for mainstream Linux users so it really taints their perspective.
Site Moderator