Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

PinePhone open source Linux smartphone

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
dai_trying

Re: PinePhone open source Linux smartphone

Post by dai_trying »

That's a great step in the right direction and being bootable from micro sd card certainly gives it options in terms of testing different OS's on it as they catch up. I would seriously consider one although it will have to wait until at least the second generation for me as I have a great mobile now and cannot see me changing it anytime soon.

One of the downsides is only b/g/n wifi which is a shame, but other than that it looks pretty good.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, B/G/N would be a showstopper for me. My current phone has AC, I certainly wouldn't be willing to downgrade. My next phone will require AX. As far as I can tell from reading about it, it also only uses 2G, not the future-proof 5g or even 4G LTE. So another showstopper for me. I don't do 10 year outdated hardware regardless of the OS.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

The reason I changed my phone last time was to get AC wifi which was needed for my drone, so if I was to get one it would most likely be for novelty value and to be used as secondary phone rather than my main one, another reason for me to wait a while.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree tlmiller, this just isnt an option.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

If I had one and used it as a second phone (I do not really want to have two phones) then I would consider it as a mini laptop as I could do all the things that I would normally do on my laptop/Pc (maybe not, but kind of) and that is where I see the benefit, Obviously if latest high speed connectivity is an issue for anyone then this would definitely be of no use...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Given I barely touch my phone as is (and it's a horribly outdated phone already, 3 years-ish old), I can't image myself ever having a second phone. As far as using it as a mini-laptop, I actually used to have one of those (the Sony version), and it was really neat to play with, but wasn't really useful. I'm pretty sure I'd find this the same thing. Just too small a screen for me to be able to enjoyably use for anything.