What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Finished cleaning and testing the Dell E6400 ATG and what a nice laptop it is. Its definitely heavier than the standard E6400 but nice display, backlit keyboard, works fine with my E series dock and runs much cooler than I expected. Installed Mint 19 Cinnamon but Ill test other distros. Waiting to see if the battery will charge fully or not(batteries are cheap so replace if needed). Unit after cleaning looks amazing and is a very attractive laptop overall. Person who owned this one really took care of it. Its amazing to me to see such quality in hardware thats between 7-9 years old. This one appears to have been made in late 2010, almost 2011.
Very happy with this laptop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I know it sounds crazy but the E6400 ATG seems faster than the other E6400's. tested all with the same hard drive using Zorin 12.4, same bios and settings overall. Of course slight differences in what ram their using but the ATG seems faster.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:34 am I know it sounds crazy but the E6400 ATG seems faster than the other E6400's. tested all with the same hard drive using Zorin 12.4, same bios and settings overall. Of course slight differences in what ram their using but the ATG seems faster.
*they're

:lol: :lol:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok they arent exactly cutting edge but Im using them as test systems and work systems so their performance is good enough.

You should be happy as youve turned me into a laptop user recently. ;)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They're a bit easier to store, and certainly more portable. Also nice that you can use them anywhere. Right now I have too many laptops. I need to really get serious about getting rid of at least 1.

Speaking of laptops, on my E7450. Still one of my all time favorite laptops. I've had this quite a while now, and while it's not the smallest I own, not the lightest i own, not the fastest, it's VERY good performance still, still a great LCD, and still very very nice looking, other than showing fingerprints far too easily.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im looking forward to using laptops like the E7450 down the road, as Ill be quite a bit behind the curve for quite awhile. My E series docks will come in handy. I need to get rid of some desktops, as i want to streamline a bit, use the laptops more and use the desktops for gaming and my wifes business.

Totally agree that its far easier to store laptops. I like the E6400s because you can pop out the hard drive easily and swap something else in quickly.
Makes testing very easy, but was taken by surprise with the issues using certain distros with the e series docks. D series i had zero issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got too many desktops in my house, some I got free some very cheap. The USFF/SFF systems didnt work out as well as I had hoped. Probably going to get rid of the USFF's along with the a few other older desktops. Considering Ive got 15 desktops in the house of varying sizes, plus parts, something has to go. Ive also got 9 laptops but they are easier to store overall and 4 are in use presently.
Too many boxes of spare parts and leftovers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just reinstalled Rosa R10 on my Dell 7010 USFF as i couldnt run it on my Edock with my laptop which is the biggest drawback of that setup.
I cant get over how small these USFF systems are and are a great choice for those of you looking for small desktop systems, HTPC for your living room.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on the Ryzen Mobile laptop (Inspiron 7375). I REALLY love this laptop. While it's not as fast cpu as my Latitude 7490 (i5 8350u), the graphics performance is significantly better (Vega 8 IGP vs. Intel UHD620 IGP), and I just love that it's a competitive AMD laptop that doesn't just suck down power like a fat kid sucks down cookies.

Discovered recently that the firmware-amd-graphics package in BACKPORTS has been upgraded to include the Raven Ridge (Ryzen 3 2200G, 5 2400G, 5 2500u, 7 2700u) firmware, so even easier to install on this laptop if ever needed again as it won't require syncing with the linux firmware git repo to get it working with the drivers correctly.

Debian still running fantastically well with the full backports kernel (I required it because I upgraded wireless to Intel 9260AC and the prod kernel doesn't have the drivers for it). Unlike on my desktop which still had the OCCASIONAL issue with 4.17 kernel (haven't had any YET with 4.18), this hasn't had any issues since installing after figuring out how to get the firmware for the amdgpu driver.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looking forward to trying Ryzen down the road and actually having a choice of processors for a change.
Site Moderator