What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

The performance of the games I play is every bit as good on linux w/ proton as they are on Windows. I play on my desktop, and the T495 (Zen+ w/ Vega 10) & T14 (Zen 2 w/ MUCH faster Vega 8 so it's actually more powerful than Vega 10 on Zen+). I was kinda surprised. I had been using the experimental Proton build for a while, and was NOT having a good experience, but I switched to the community build of Proton, and now everything just...runs like it was a native game. I'm actually quite shocked at how well they run. I played a 23 hour game last week/weekend (obviously not all at once) and not once did it have more issues than it would on Windows (which is to say it does crash, but its' uncommon).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent had that experience so far and to be honest I wasnt going to fool around with it when it runs great in Win10. I can play pretty much any game I want at any time with no issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My laptops require Proton, since I won't allow Windows anywhere near them until it's time to sell them. The desktop I don't NEED to use it, rebooting to the swiss cheese OS is doable, but being able to stay in a stable OS AND play my games is even nicer.

I don't bother having Steam on any of my Intel laptops, however, since the Intel IGP's simply aren't powerful enough to play even these older to downright old games at acceptable FPS at a decent resolution.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive gamed almost all my life in Windows so its no big deal and Im well versed with performance tweaks. I run Linux on only one laptop now so I tend to stick with what works for me. Im running close to 30 games right now and it all works great. Its stable, fast and easy to tweak.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Windows and stable are words like military intelligence; as sung by Megadeth; "words together that don't make sense". :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In terms of gaming youd be surprised as Ive done 12 hour sessions that were flawless. Ive had few issues with Win10 except the wonderful updating game. Pretty much a moot point as my overall Linux gaming experience has been severely lacking.
For me Linux is great except for gaming.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the things I like the most on the Windows gaming side is, that there are a wider number of drivers, particularly for graphics that can allow for a better visual experience or better performance. Many more tweaks that can be used and a lot of added content thats available.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Lots of decisions to make the next year or so with Win11 coming and hardware I thought would be fine but is now in jeopardy by Oct. 2025.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I will have to decide if I want to try to get a TPM module for my desktop to upgrade it to 11, or see if that BIOS supports enabling the fTPM. Or just stick with Windows 10 on that and then give up gaming after 2025. I have no intention of replacing it that soon, it's still 8 core 16 thread 32 GB ram w/ a 6GB 5600XT, while I might upgrade the video card before 2025, everything else will PROBABLY stay the same unless I happen to find a REALLY good deal on a 12-core processor.
wove

Post by wove »

A disadvantage of being retired is that one sort of finds themselves living in a bubble. My hardware has always been either Thinkpads, or Apple, both of which have always had TPM as stock hardware, and I in my bubble just assumed that TPM was just a generic part of all hardware. I guess not, TPM or lack there of is generating lots of heated debate.

Doing more research on the Pi, I found that the SOC in the Pi does include a security component that is compatible with the TPM 2.0 spec, but is not activated by Pi OSes. Work is on going to enable that. Perhaps the Windows boot loader for the Pi does activate that component, thereby actually meeting the hardware requirements.

I also read that on Ars that some MB maker had updated their BIOS so as to turn on the built in Intel implementation of TPM. The writer of the article assumed that other MB makers would probably follow with updates of their own.