Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Best Linux laptops to buy in 2018

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Best Linux laptops to buy in 2018

Post by tlmiller »

So, the only 2 that are affordable are total piles of &*^(%, and they don't include the Acer Aspire 1 14 that is only $250 and includes a 1080P 14" display. What a crock of mularkey. IMO, worthless article since MOST people aren't wanting to buy a $1000+ laptop and that's what most of their list is (8/13 listed will be over $1000 after taxes).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most people are going to buy OEM laptops and either use Windows or add/install Linux on them. This article was sent to me by a friend of mine over at Arstechnica, and honestly didnt read thru it that much before I posted it. Feel free to post your recommendations for laptops either here or in a separate thread.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My issue with articles like these, is most people want laptops in the $400-$800 range (and if you look at the sales of the various major OEM's to the consumer segment, that bears out that belief). If you're going to do an article on "best laptops for linux", I think you should at least TRY to keep all the laptops in that general pricerange. Maybe if you have 10 laptops, have 1-2 in the budget category, have 1-2 in the sky high budget category, but have MOST in the price range that people actually WANT to look for.

They have 13. 1 budget. 8 high-priced. 4, only 4 of the literally HUNDREDS of models in the "sweet spot" segment. Anyone who writes articles like that IMO are doing fluff pieces. They're not realistically helping anyone, they're just writing it to see their own name on an article IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not familiar with the author of that article so really cant say, but certainly you can email them and voice your concerns, they certainly are warranted.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Once upon a time when I had youthful exuberance I probably would have. Nowadays I just have geriatric disaffection. :D

I still occasionally reach out to authors when they do something exceptionally well, but when they're full of it, I just ignore them nowadays. It's not worth taking the time to tell them what you think considering most of them are so full of themselves they'll just dismiss you out of hand. My opinion, anyway...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Given your in the tech industry I think giving feedback is important as I got quite a bit when I was running my own site.
Site Moderator