My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: My new gaming pc will have Ryzen

Post by crosscourt »

I didnt think you would I was just curious as to what you thought about it. Ill be testing it soon, after the R5 2600 comes.

AMD has some very nice software, between their Radeon drivers and Ryzen utilities.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Right now Linux is my everyday OS and Win10 is my gaming OS. I use Linux at work and whenever Im doing most of my personal work. Linux unfortunately doesnt fit the bill for gaming for me right now, hoping down the road.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, nice to see their ship righted and steaming along. Back in 2014/2015 timeframe, one would NEVER have expected to see this. AMD CPU's were trash, even their top of the line CPU's were barely able to hang with a low end Core i5, the Radeon software on Windows was bug-filled and often didn't work right. Their open source drivers were still reverse engineered and took a long time to add support, while the proprietary drivers were steaming piles of feces. Yet here at the beginning of 2020, their CPU's for desktop are arguably the class of the desktop world, their mobile cpu's are competitive, their HEDT CPU's have, no argument, crushed the competition. They're gaining ground in the enterprise sector. Their linux drivers are now open source, no longer needing anything proprietary unless you want to use OpenCL with them. Their Windows drivers seem stable, they auto-update correctly, and actually do what they're intended to do. Multiple times I've seen reviews in the last 18 months that a new driver for a newer GPU pulled 5%+ performance, which is BIG for just driver optimization!! 100% about face from a company that was doing everything wrong to a company that's making Intel & Nvidia sweat a bit (a little, not a lot, both are just so much larger)...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im really happy to be using AMD. I just tried the Ryzen master utility and it works great,cpu and vcc voltage are available but nothing else.
At 1.4 volt I got the base speed of the Ryzen 5 1400 to 4ghz with stock cooling. Used the benches in CPU-Z and the numbers are quite impressive over the stock numbers. Ill do more benches down the road but very stable and if something goes wrong, you restart and start from scratch.

My hope down the road is that AMD will continue to grow and keep this streak of amazing products going. Nice to be back with a Radeon card as well and it overclocks quite nicely as well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Ryzen 5 1400 only boosts to 3.4ghz but Im already running it at 4ghz thru the Ryzen master utility at 1.4v so Im quite impressed.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I've used my Ryzen machine with Windows quite a bit and also have the Ryzen Master Utility installed but I only use it to monitor the cpu and have never OC'd as I would prefer to upgrade to get better performance than to risk burning something out. I realise that most boards/cpu's have a lot more protection nowadays than they used to but I would rather play safe and live with a few less % of power.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the beauty of the Ryzen master utility. You only use it when you need it and it auto resets once you restart your pc. Its never oced all the time.
1.4v is nothing to worry(AMD says 1.4v is fine with Ryzen} about and going to 4ghz in my case is well within the safe range as far as durability(according to AMD) with the cpu. Ryzen is quite an amazing cpu in that regard.
I prefer CPU-Z and CPUID hardware monitor to monitor my system. Speedfan is also a very nice and compact monitor.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up with a stable overclock at 1.4v and 3.8ghz, meaning the cpu runs at that speed at all times given the R5 1400 can only boost to 3.4ghz.
4ghz was stable at desktop but wasnt stable while gaming so 3.8ghz is it. Temps at idle were around 30c but during gaming with the overclock the temps were around 55c using the stock Wraith Stealth cooler.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Still not a bad overclock, all things considered. Given that the quad r5's were basically all created from failed silicon that was meant to be either r7 or hex-core r5's, one doesn't expect the greatest overclocks from it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was impressed but my R5 2600 should be here tomorrow but not sure if Ill have time to install it till the weekend. Then the 2TB Seagate Barracuda followed by my friend dropping by the 2x8gb of ddr4 3200 ram.
Site Moderator